South West Road Runners
FIRST CHANCE 10K
Held under UKA rules. Licence No.2024-46731
Sunday 7th January 2024
Start time: 10:30am
Entry will include a race memento
Please note that First Chance is an INSTEP event.
Special thanks to our sponsors:
RACE HQ will open from 8am
Race HQ is at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre, a little downstream from Piazza Terracina (Haven Road, EX2 8DP), between the canal and the river. Facilities include Toilets; Changing rooms and Showers.
Public toilets are also located along the Quay
RACE NUMBER and BAG STORE
You will need to collect your race number on the day from our Race HQ so please arrive in plenty of time. Race numbers will be available on the top floor in Training Rooms 1 and 2.
Race numbers will be arranged for collection according to your surname.
The timing chips are on the back of your number so please do not remove, fold or puncture them.
Please pin your race number to the front of your running top, taking care to avoid the chips.
No chip = No time!
The bag store will be in the Race HQ – please use the bag label that will be on the bottom of your race number.
ONE BAG PER COMPETITOR
PERSONAL SOUND SYSTEMS
Personal headphones that prevent the runner from hearing instructions will not be permitted and could result in disqualification. Marshals on the course will be checking compliance with this rule.
- The course is very flat and fast times are possible.
- If weather conditions are cold and/or windy please bring adequate clothing to cater for all conditions.
- Although the course is traffic-free, beware of pedestrians, cyclists and dogs.
- Distances will be marked in kilometres by distance boards.
- The course is narrow so please line up at the start in a realistic position, allowing the quicker runners to start from the front.
- You will primarily be requested to run on the left leaving room for runners to overtake on your right, although on the out and back section passing The Double Locks you will asked to run on the right! . This is particularly important for runners taking over 50 minutes as you will be lapped by the race leaders.
- Stewards will be on hand at all points of the course to advise and encourage you.
- A Water Station will be available on the course which runners will pass on two occasions
DIRECTIONS TO THE RACE
Please consider cycling/walking/or public transport if possible
By car: From the A30, take the A377 Marsh Barton Exit and follow the signs for Exeter. This will take you along Alphington Road. After about a mile you will pass under a railway bridge. Turn right at the next set of lights (signposted “Haven Banks”) then take the next left. Race HQ will be signposted from this point
Car Parks include:
Cathedral & Quay, EX1 1DX – Entrance on Lower Coombe Street, off Western Way. Lots of capacity, once parked walk down to the Quay and take the footbridge over the Exe to Race HQ.
Haven Banks Car Park, EX2 8DP – Entrance on Michael Browning Way. Limited capacity, likely traffic congestion.
Haven Banks Retail Park, 22 Water Lane, EX2 8BY
We will allow you to pass your place on to another runner, as long as you inform us and we are given full details of the new runner. Please tell us as soon as possible using the online swap system at https://www.swrr.co.uk/first-chance-10k/.
Airside Medical will be in attendance on the day
Re Balance Injury Clinic will be available on Race Day providing post-race sports massage and injury consultation advice.
Re Balance are an injury clinic supporting you in your road to recovery, helping you to minimise time on the treatment table and maximise your performance.
It is said that the hardest part of a race is making it through your training and getting to the start line. Therefore, Re Balance Injury Clinic are also offering all racers a discount on pre-race appointments to sort any niggles or injuries you may have, and also post-race follow up appointments to enhance your recovery.
Get in contact with Re Balance Injury Clinic and mention First Chance 10K for more details: www.rebalanceinjuryclinic.co.uk
Will be provided by Charles Whitton Sports Photography
Check them out at: www.charleswhittonphotography.com
Event photographs will be accessed via:
In accordance with UKA rules, all prizes will be awarded on gun time.
- 1st Male & Female: Trophy
- 2nd Male & Female: Trophy
- 3rd Male & Female: Trophy
- Recognition will also be given for various age categories – 1st 2nd 3rd male and female: V40; V50; V60; V70.
We will ensure that all the cups at the water station are paper compostable and encourage all participants to use their own water bottles.
We would also ask you to please consider cycling/walking/or public transport if possible
- Please check the club website swrr.co.uk on the eve of the race for any important last- minute announcements.
Terms and conditions apply:
By entering this race, I accept the following terms on behalf of myself and those whom I am entering:
The race will be held under UK Athletics rules
Entrants must follow the rules and obey Marshalls directions at all times. Marshalls and medics on the course have the authority to disqualify and remove any runner they consider to be acting dangerously, or to be unfit to compete
Runners must be 15 years or older on race date
Any runner who is found to compete in another person’s race number will be disqualified.
No refunds can be given if the race has to be cancelled or postponed due to circumstances outside the race organisers control
You will be allowed to transfer your entry to another runner – this can be done via your SiEntries account. We can also process number swaps at the Race HQ up to 30 minutes before the start of the race if absolutely necessary
No deferrals or refunds are available
The race organisers, sponsors, charities, suppliers, and/ or their agents will not be liable for any injury, loss, or expense which may arise in consequence of your participation in this event save as to negligence.
All runners are required to complete the requested details on the back of their race number. If you suffer from any form of medical condition, please give brief details and confirm any medication you take on the reverse of your number
No prams, buggies, or dogs allowed
- Please look out for updates on the race via Facebook and Instagram