South West Road Runners
FIRST CHANCE 10K RACE INSTRUCTIONS
Held under UKA rules. Licence No.2022-43207
Sunday 3rd April 2022
Start time: 10:30am
Enter via SiEntries
Entry includes race memento and free raffle entry
RACE HQ Open from 8am
Race HQ is at Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre, a little downstream from Piazza Terracina (Haven Road, EX2 8DP), between the canal and the river. Facilities include Toilets; Changing rooms and Showers.
Public toilets are also located along the Quay
We will request that a face mask be worn inside the building and that participants use the hand sanitizer that will be provided
You will need to collect your race number on the day so please arrive at Race HQ in plenty of time. These will be available on the top floor in Training Rooms 1 and 2. The timing chips are on the back of your number so please do not remove, fold or puncture them.
Please pin your race number to the front of your running top, taking care to avoid the chips.
No chip = No time!
PERSONAL SOUND SYSTEMS
Personal headphones, etc are NOT allowed as they may prevent the runner from being aware of what is happening around them. Marshals on the course will be checking compliance with this rule and anyone seen wearing headphones will be disqualified and excluded from the results.
- The course is very flat and fast times are possible.
- If weather conditions are cold and/or windy please bring adequate clothing to cater for all conditions.
- Although the course is traffic-free, beware of pedestrians, cyclists and dogs.
- Distances will be marked in kilometres by paint lines and distance boards.
- The course is narrow so please line up at the start in a realistic position, allowing the quicker runners to start from the front.
- Please run on the left leaving room for runners to overtake on your right. This is particularly important for runners taking over 50 minutes as you will be lapped by the race leaders.
- A Water Station will be available on the course which runners will pass on two occasions
DIRECTIONS TO THE RACE
Please consider cycling/walking/or public transport if possible
By car: From the A30, take the A377 Marsh Barton Exit and follow the signs for Exeter. This will take you along Alphington Road. After about a mile you will pass under a railway bridge. Turn right at the next set of lights (signposted “Haven Banks”) then take the next left. Race HQ will be signposted from this point
Car Parks include:
Cathedral & Quay, EX1 1DX – Entrance on Lower Coombe Street, off Western Way. Lots of capacity, once parked walk down to the Quay and take the footbridge over the Exe to Race HQ.
Haven Banks Car Park, EX2 8DP – Entrance on Michael Browning Way. Limited capacity, likely traffic congestion.
Haven Banks Retail Park, 22 Water Lane, EX2 8BY
We will allow you to pass your place on to another runner, as long as you inform us and we are given full details of the new runner. Please tell us as soon as possible using the online swap system at http://www.swrr.co.uk/first-chance-10k/.
There will be labels available on the day to secure to your bag, please write your race number clearly on the label and attach it securely to your bag.
If you are able to label your bag in advance of coming to the race this will help to reduce waiting times.
As part of the clubs commitment towards promoting positive mental health, a Samaritans team will be in attendance on the day to offer advice and support
AR Sports Therapy will be available on Race Day providing post-race sports massage and injury consultation advice.
AR Sports Therapy is an injury clinic supporting you in your road to recovery, helping you to minimise time on the treatment table and maximise your performance.
It is said that the hardest part of a race is making it through your training and getting to the start line. Therefore, AR Sports Therapy are also offering all racers a discount on pre-race appointments to sort any niggles or injuries you may have, and also post-race follow up appointments to enhance your recovery.
Get in contact with AR Sports Therapy and mention First Chance 10K for more details: www.arsportstherapy.co.uk/contact-us
Will be provided by Charles Whitton Sports Photography
Check them out at: www.charleswhittonphotography.com
Event photographs will be accessed via:
In accordance with UKA rules, all prizes will be awarded on gun time.
- 1st Male & Female: Trophy & £100 cash.
- 2nd Male & Female: Trophy & £50 cash
- 3rd Male & Female: Trophy & £25 cash
- Trophies will also be given for various age categories.
- Prizes will be awarded at Race HQ at approximately 12.30pm.
- The Instep Awards will also take place after race prizes have been presented
All participants and stewards (who this event could not take place without) will be entered into the free raffle.
You could win:
- 1 hour Reflexology session with practitioner
- Sports Massage with practitioner
- Snow and Rock Voucher
- Exeter Brewery Voucher
- Neals Yard Goodie Bag
We will ensure that all the cups at the water station are paper compostable and encourage all participants to use their own water bottles.
We will also be encouraging all participants to recycle their race numbers and chips at the end of the race
We would also ask you to please consider cycling/walking/or public transport if possible
- Please check the club website swrr.co.uk on the eve of the race for any important last- minute announcements.